Today, I took a break from packing for a pretty epic and exciting West Coast tour, to prepare a nourishing and delicious lunch.
Its no secret that festivals, while providing you with incredible experiences, can also be draining and tiring. Staying mindful of your food and lifestyle choices before, during, and after the festival - can ensure that your energy and stoke levels stay high as you enjoy all that the experience has to offer.
I first fell in love with home made soups in Peru, where they were a daily occurrence in our meals provided by our host families. Soups are so easy to prepare and so nutritious - and were really the gateway into my culinary adventures and interest in cooking.
The first soup that I really got into was a creamy green soup. The recipe has evolved over time, into a vegan, gluten free delight. Here is my current variation that I whipped up with what I had on hand.
THE OG GREEN SOUP (serves 1-2)
- 1/2C Frozen Peas
- 2C Frozen Greens (spinach, kale, chard etc)
- 1/4C Chopped Zucchini
- half thumb of chopped fresh ginger
- half thumb of chopped fresh turmeric
- 1T chopped fresh parsley (optional - if you're into parsley)
- Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
- Just under a half cup of water or home made vegetable broth
- 1/4 of an avocado
- 1T Hemp Seeds
- 1/4C Homemade Almond Milk
- Combine first 10 ingredients in small pot.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about five minutes, until your greens turn bright green
- In a blender or food processor, combine avocado, hemp seeds, and almond milk.
- Add soup mix to avocado mix and blend until smooth and creamy [*note: DO NOT use a NutriBullet for this recipe - make sure your blender/food processor is safe to put hot liquids into]
- Pour into 1-2 bowls and enjoy!