I love food, and I especially love when what I eat energizes me for a day full of adventure.
This is why I love green vegetables. Spinach, Kale, Chard, Arugula - all make daily appearances in my life, and keep me going like the energizer bunny.
I get asked frequently how one can include more vegetables in their diet - I am always coming up with new ways to eat greens especially. Here is one of my favourite salads of the moment - I hope you enjoy!
Warm Falafel Massaged Kale Salad
You will need:
- Food Processor/Blender
- Non-stick or Cast Iron frying pan
For the Falafel:
- 1 Can of Chickpeas (or 1 cup if you’ve soaked and cooked your own - more on that coming!)
- 2T Olive Oil
- 2T Ground Flax Seeds
For the Salad:
- 2 Fresh Kale Leaves
- Handful of Arugula (optional)
- 1/4 of an Avocado
- 1/4 of a Lemon
- Sauerkraut to taste (organic preferred!)
- Fresh Sprouts (optional)
For the Dressing:
- 1T Tahini (sesame paste)
- 1T Good Quality Olive Oil
- 1/2 of a Lemon
- 1t Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- Splash of Water
- Sprinkle of Salt
(wisk all of these ingredients together or wiz together in nutri bullet)
- Wash your hands! (you are about to get up close and personal with your kale)
- Put Chickpeas and olive oil in food pressor/blender (I used my Nutribullet), and blend until smooth. Move to a bowl and stir in ground flax seeds, mixing until the seeds combine.
- Form mix into small falafel like patties, and place on warm (medium heat) frying pan. (this recipe will make about six - so you’ll have leftovers for another salad!)
- Cook until brown on each side (about 5 minutes per side)
- While the patties cook, prepare the salad
- Remove stem of kale from the kale leaves and chop the kale into bite sized pieces
- Place kale pieces into bowl and add avocado and fresh lemon juice. Massage avocado and lemon juice into kale until the kale becomes soft. Think happy thoughts, infuse your kale with love. Add in a arugula at this point, mixing just until the arugula is covered in the avocado mix as well.
- Put a delicious amount of Sauerkraut on top of the kale mixture
- Add 2-3 warm falafels and drizzle with tahini dressing
- Sprinkle black lava sea salt and sprouts and viola - lunch is served!
I hope you enjoy this salad as much as I do - happy Wednesday!